Wednesday 12 March 2014

JEFF WALL PHOTOGRAPHY

Jeff Wall is a Canadian Photographer who influenced and inspired the world of art with his innovative way of thinking.
I decided to look into the work of Jeff Wall in order to gain inspiration whilst creating my own imagery.
When I think of narrative photographers, (although I think imagery and photographs are all narrative) I immediately think of Jeff Wall because, personally, I think that every piece of imagery created by Jeff Wall tells a story or makes us wonder and ask questions and make assumptions and to me, that is what narrative photography is.

This image (right) is called 'The invisible man' Wall produced this after reading the novel 'Invisible man'. He has staged an environment based on his perspective and interpretation of the book. Before researching Jeff Walls work more finely I wasn't aware that this image was inspired by a novel, yet without knowing this the photograph still tells a story and has a narrative.
The image is constructed and that is clear by the way the image is staged, as it is kind of surreal due to all the light bulbs which split the image and stand out making them a large subject and that makes us automatically ask questions. The overall feel of the image is quite busy due to the fact there is a lot going on, every area of the photograph is filled which makes it quite difficult to notice the man, he his facing away in quite neutral colours and is not in the centre of the image or the main feature, I think this works well as the image is called 'The Invisible Man'.




No comments:

Post a Comment